This is a challenging set of 20 research questions for a 20th Century American History class studying the decade 1930-1939.
The questions are organized chronologically, and there are two questions per year in most cases. Here is what is GREAT about this assignment: it's fully customizable! For instance, you might use only 10 of these questions instead of the 20 in the packet. You might choose 5 of the questions and ask students to conduct in-depth research for a full-length report. The possibilities are endless!
I decided to make a research assignment that went beyond basic questions like "When did Amelia Earhart make her famous flight?" and "Who was president during World War II?"
Instead, I opted for questions that required strong critical thinking skills and better research skills and - above all - taught an appreciation for 20th Century American history.
Here then is a sample question from this assignment: "Kristallnacht, the 'Night of Broken Glass,' launched a horrific series of pogroms - or attacks - on Jews in Nazi Germany. They were called Kristallnacht because of the broken glass from store windows and other businesses that littered the streets in the aftermath. What atrocities did the Nazis commit during the first pogrom beginning on November 9, 1938?"
Additional topics include the opening of the Empire State Building, the official adoption of the national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner," the discovery of Pluto, Amelia Earhart's transatlantic flight, the Lindbergh Kidnapping, FDR's first election, the New Deal, Bonnie and Clyde, Wiley Post's "around the world" flight, the Dust Bowl, the debut of the board game "Monopoly," the Social Security Act, the first Neutrality Act, the Hoover Dam, the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Hindenburg disaster, "The War of the Worlds" radio broadcast, and the beginnings of World War II.
Included, please find the assignment and an answer key with links to reputable websites where I found these answers.
You may use all 20 questions - or any combination you need - depending of course on your goals.
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. 20th Century American History - 210 Research Questions Bundle
This bundle contains ALL of my 20th Century America History Research Questions packets. You will save money if you download this bundle!
2. 20th Century American History - 1900-1909 - 20 Research Questions
3. 20th Century American History - 1910-1919 - 20 Research Questions
4. 20th Century American History - 1920-1929 - 20 Research Questions
5. 20th Century American History - 1940-1949 - 25 Research Questions
6. 20th Century American History - 1950-1959 - 21 Research Questions
7. 20th Century American History - 1960-1969 - 22 Research Questions
8. 20th Century American History - 1970-1979 - 20 Research Questions
9. 20th Century American History - 1980-1989 - 22 Research Questions
10. 20th Century American History - 1990-1999 - 21 Research Questions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License