These 8 games have everything you need for teaching CCSS-aligned fourth grade geometry for only $1 each! There are 2-3 games for each geometry Common Core standard (4.G.A.1, 4.G.A.2, 4.G.A.3) covering key outcomes on geometric shapes such as:
• Draw points, lines, line segments, and rays.
• Draw right/acute/obtuse angles and perpendicular/parallel lines.
• Identify lines and angles in 2D shapes.
• Classify 2D shapes by types of lines and angles.
• Classify triangles them as right triangles or not right triangles.
• Recognize lines of symmetry in 2D figures
• Draw lines of symmetry
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 8 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk
questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 34 pages of outer solar system/space-themed game boards, cards, spinners, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are page protector sheets, Vis-à-vis or dry erase markers, 2D shape manipulatives (like attribute blocks, pattern blocks, or tangrams), and paperclips to make spinners.
PLEASE NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the geometry standards between grade levels, some of the games and materials in the 1st-4th grade geometry products are similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
This item was added 2.10.13.
I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
You might also like:
4th Grade Operations & Algebraic Thinking: 7 Math Partner Games for Common Core
4th Grade Fractions and Decimals Math Partner Games: 14 Games for Common Core
4th Grade Number and Operations in Base Ten: 14 Partner Games for CCSS
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.