One of my favorite stories for the back to school! Chrysanthemum contains nine math and reading activities to extend the story. All activities are in PDF format so they can be printed from any computer.
1. Calendar activity--Students use the calendar to answer to answer questions about the days and dates.
2. Mouse Glyph--Students follow the directions to make their own unique mouse glyph about school.
3. Roll Call--Students put the cards with the names of the students in Chrysanthemum's class in ABC order. (16 cards)
4. Roll Call Count--Students count the letters in each classmate's name, record the findings with tally marks and then use the information to answer the comparison questions about the data.
5. Story Element Flower--Students fill in the blanks on the flower petals to answer the questions about the elements of the story.
6. Story Sequence Completion--Students answer the question what happened at the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
7. Number Comparison--Students compare the two number (one on each of Chrysanthemum's ear) using , or = and write the correct symbol on her
8. Tell Me About My Name--Student interviews a parent/guardian to learn about how he/she got his/her name.
9. Creative Writing- If you could name yourself any other name, what would it be and why would you choose it?