This packet of materials is to be used to supplement your writing instruction. COPS stands for: Capitalization, Organization/Order, Punctuation and Spelling. It serves as an easy and understandable checklist for young writers who are learning to write and edit their writing. The theme of the packet is all police officers. The kids will LOVE the Get Out of Jail Free Cards and the Speeding Tickets! This is a great way to motivate your students to check their writing and encourage independence and accountability in their writing.
This packet includes:
1. COPS poster
2. Capitalization poster with examples of what to capitalize on it.
3. Organization poster with examples of transition words on it.
4. Punctuation poster with different punctuation marks on it.
5. Spelling poster with a checklist of questions for writers to ask themselves when they are checking their spelling.
6. COPS student bookmarks (3 to a page). These are great to staple into a writing folder as a reminder or to keep at a writing center and in desks.
7. Speeding Tickets- for teachers to distribute when a student is "caught" rushing through work! They can also be used for any content area- not just writing. They are a good classroom management tool for students who rush through work!
8. Get Out Of Jail Free certificates- much like the Speeding Tickets, these can be used in many ways. They can be earned for good behavior, good work and strong effort. It is at the teacher's discretion how to earn a Get Out of Jail Free Card and what the certificates can be redeemed for (depending on your classroom incentives, whether it be free time, a homework pass, etc.) These can also be used in other content areas, not just writing.
Please let me know if you need any help implementing this in your classroom or if you have any questions!