This CELEBRATE THE WORK OF LAURA NUMEROFF ACTIVITY SET contains TEACHER-CREATED activities that can be used to extend three of her IF YOU GIVE... stories: If You Give A Mouse a Cookie, If You Give a Cat a Cupcake and If You Take a Mouse to the Movies. The activities are in PDF format so they can be opened on both PCs and Macs. There are a total of 28 activities contained in 46 files.
IF YOU GIVE A CAT A CUPCAKE:
1. Compound Word Cupcakes: Put together the two cupcake halves that
form a compound word.
2. CatÃ¢ï¿½ï¿½s Word Sort: Sort out the word cards onto their correct place on
the mat (according to whether the word is a place, object or action.
3. Cats Opposite: Play a matching game by turning the cat cards upside
down in rows. Take turns flipping over two cards to make an opposites pair.
4. Sprinkles, Please: Trace the number on each of the cupcakes (1-12).
Draw the correct number of sprinkles on each cupcake.
5. Healthy for You or Unhealthy for You?: Sort the cards on the mat
according to whether it lists a healthy habit or unhealthy habit.
6. Cause and Effect: Find the effect card that goes with each cause card.
7. Cupcake Glyph: Follow the directions to create your own unique data glyph
8. Initial Letter Sounds: Draw a line from the picture on the left to the
picture on the right that begins with the same sound.
9. Food Group Sort: Sort out the food pictures into the food group they
belong in (grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and protein).
10. Create a Circle Story: Create your own circle story by filling in the
circle that starts with: If you give a cat...
11. Dinosaur Graph: Sort out the dinosaurs by color, count them
and then fill in graph.
12. The Food Pyramid: Enjoy reading the My Pyramid poster and healthy
lifestyle tips for kids. Then use the poster to help you fill in the blank
IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE:
1. FAVORITE COOKIE GRAPHING ACTIVITY
Students graph their family and friends favorite type of cookie
2. ABC ORDER ACTIVITY
Students put the cookies with the story words in ABC order (Two sets of six
cookies. Each set is a different design so that they can be used separately or both sets used together for more of a challenge.)
3. EATING A COOKIE MAKES ME THIRSTY GAME
Students roll a die and move along the path. The first to reach the glass of milk is the winner.
4. STORY MAP REPRODUCIBLE
Students fill in the circles on the story map.
5. RHYMING WORDS ACTIVITY
Students match together the rhyming word cards (8 pairs)
6. SCIENCE EXPERIMENT
Students form a hypothesis about what happens when a cookie is left in a glass
of milk and use their observation skills to explain the results.
7. MEMORY GAME CARDS
Students find the two cards with the same cookie design.
8. FOLDER / BINDER COVER
9. ACTIVITY LETTER
Explaining how to do each activity
IF YOU TAKE A MOUSE TO THE MOVIES:
1. Popcorn Prediction--Students estimate how many pieces of popped popcorn will be
needed to cover each of the three shapes (Christmas tree, ornament and popcorn box). They then place, count and record the actual number of pieces needed.
2. Story Retelling Pieces--Students can sequence or retell the story using the retelling pieces. Option 2: Students can choose one piece at random and find the piece that shows what happened next in the story.
3. Cause and Effect Cards--Students match together a cause and it's effect card to create a sentence.
4. R-controlled vowel Ornaments--Students add the correct r-controlled vowel to create the word to match the picture shown on each ornament. (covers the -ar, er, and -or vowel sounds)
5. Snowman Addition--Students add the numbers in the top two parts of each snowman and write the correct sum in the bottom circle.
6. Popcorn Sentence Stringing--Students "string" the popcorn pieces with the words on them to create three sentences. (One 4 word sentence, one 6 word sentence and one 2 word sentence.)
7. Snowball Word Families --Students write in a beginning consonant or blend to create complete each snowball in the word family pile ( -ow [long /o/], and -all families)
8. Venn Diagram-- Students compare and contrast the IF YOU TAKE A MOUSE TO
THE MOVIES and IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE books
9. Candy Cane Patterning--Students color a creative pattern on the candy cane reproducible
10. Activity Letter--Explaining how to do each activity