This is a set of three quizzes that I use with my unit on Cell Structure and Function. Each quiz consists of fill in the blank questions and a few short answer questions. They are written to go along with my powerpoint,Cell Structure and Function Powerpoint and Notes
, but these can be used in any Biology class when teaching the concepts of cell structure and function.
The first quiz is on the animal cell. It covers:
1) The men of history who made discoveries about cells, such as Robert Hooke, Leeuwenhoek, Schleiden, Schwann, and Virchow.
2) The energy requirements of all living organisms (autotrophs vs heterotrophs)
3) The 11 processes that all cells must be able to do: ingestion, digestion, excretion, respiration, biosynthesis, etc)
4) Structures found in animal cells: nucleus, cytoplasm, nuclear membrane, nucleoplasm, chromosomes, ribosomes, rough ER, smooth ER, Golgi, lysosomes, vacuoles, mitochondria, the cytoskeleton.
5) Labeling the parts of the animal cell.
The second quiz is on the plant cell. It covers:
1) Labeling the parts of a plant cell.
2) Differences between plant and animal cells.
3) Structures: central vacuole, chloroplasts, chromoplasts, leukoplasts, cell wall.
4) Levels of cellular organization - unicellular, colonial, and multicellular. Also tissue, organ, systems.
5) The differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
The third quiz is on cellular transport across the membrane. It covers: active and passive transport, hypertonic, hypotonic, isotonic, plasmolysis, cytolysis, endocytosis, exocytosis, etc. There is a diagram of the cell membrane that students will label. There is a diagram showing two solutions separated by a semipermeable membrane. Students will label the hypotonic side, the hypertonic side and predict the movement of the molecules.
NOTE: This product is also included in a large, bundled unit lesson plan and can be viewed here: Cell Structure and Function Complete Bundled Unit Plan
Your download will include two versions of each: a pdf version and a Word document so that you can make changes if you wish.
You might also be interested in the following products:
Biology Lab: Cell Structure and Function
Lab: Determining the Osmolarity of Cells
Lab: The Effect of Solutions on Cells
Lab: Diffusion Through a Nonliving Membrane
Lab: Qualitative and Quantitative Plasmolysis
Lab: The Effect of Concentration on the RAte of Diffusion
Cell Organelles MAtching Worksheet
Lab: Diversity of Cell Structures
Cell Organelles Crossword Puzzle
Transport Across the Cell Membrane Worksheet
Transport Across Membranes Crossword Puzzle
Cell Organelles Jeopardy Review Game
Cells - Transport Across the Membrane Powerpoint Jeopardy Review
Test: Cell Structure and Function and Membrane Transport
Cell Structure and Function Bundled Unit of 19 products
Amy Brown Science Stuff