Classification and Taxonomy Complete Unit Plan Bundle of Products
Everything you need for a complete unit on taxonomy and classification is included in this bundled product.
Each of these products is sold separately in my TpT store, but buying the entire unit in one download will save you money. If each of these products were purchased separately, the total cost would be $32.99. The bundle is being offered at a 30% discount.
This bundled unit contains at least 2 weeks of teaching materials or 3 weeks if you complete all of the enclosed labs. The title of this unit is Classification and Taxonomy: The Diversity of Life. This unit has everything that a teacher needs to teach a unit on this topic to Biology or life science students.
It covers all topics related to taxonomy:
The history of classification and taxonomy, Linnaeus, binomial nomenclature, levels of classification, cladograms, dichotomous classification keys, the 6 kingdom classification system.
You will receive 12 separate products:
A 49 slide powerpoint presentation, teacher notes, student notes, 3 labs, a jeopardy review game, 1 daily quiz, 3 homework assignments, a crossword puzzle, a set of task cards and a unit test.
When appropriate, I have included each product as an editable Word document, and I have also included each product in pdf form.
All answers are included.
Topics covered are:
1) The need for a system of classification
2) Summary of Darwin's Theory of Evolution
4) Early attempts at classification: Aristotle, misuse of common names
5) Linnaeus: Seven levels of classification, binomial nomenclature, definition of species, the rules of binomial nomenclature
6) Modern taxonomy: phylogeny, phylogenetic tree, reading a phylogenetic tree
7) Homologous, analogous, and vestigial structures
8) Modern taxonomy is based on: structural similarity, cellular organization, evolutionary relationships, biochemical similarities, genetic similarities, embryological similarities
9) Cladistics and cladograms: Students will look at a cladogram and answer questions about it
10) History of the Kingdoms: 2-kingdom system, 3-kingdom system, 5-kingdom system, and the 6-kingdom system
11) Three domain system of classification
12) Comparison of the kingdoms in the 6-kingdom system
13) Mechanisms that serve as barriers between the species
14) The dichotomous key to classification: Students will learn how to use a dichotomous key; Students will classify the leaves of 7 trees using a dichotomous key.
Below is a complete list of what you will receive. You can click on each link to read a detailed description of each product.
Classification and Taxonomy: The Diversity of Life Powerpoint with Teacher and Student Notes
Classification Task Cards
Classification Using a Dichotomous Key
Test: Classification and Diversity of Life
Lab: The Use of Dichotomous Keys in Classification
Dichotomous Classification Key to a "Crazy" Animal Kingdom
Classification and Taxonomy Jeopardy Review Game
Learning to Use and Construct a Dichotomous Classification Key
Classification Crossword Puzzle
Classification (Taxonomy) Homework or Study guide
Activity: Let's Build a Cladogram!
Classification and Taxonomy Quiz
I hope that you will follow me at:
My TpT Store
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (Science Stuff)