Search words: Classification, Darwin, Linnaeus, natural selection, taxonomy, binomial nomenclature, kingdom, phylum, genus, species, domains, phylogenetic tree, homologous structures, analogous structures, vestigial structures, cladistics, cladogram, dichotomous key.
This assignment is on The Classification Systems of Living Organisms. I use this as a homework assignment, but it also makes a wonderful study guide for a chapter test on classification. It consists of 44 questions of varying formats. I usually break it up and use it for several homework assignments. There are fill in the blank, multiple choice, and completion questions. Pictures and diagrams are included that will greatly enhance student understanding of this material.
This product is also sold in a large, bundled unit containing 13 products: Bundled Classification Unit
Please download my free preview for a look at the types of questions included.
Topics covered are:
2. Early attempts at classification: Aristotle, misuse of common names
3. Linnaeus: Seven levels of classification, binomial nomenclature, definition of species, the rules of binomial nomenclature
4. Modern taxonomy and phylogeny
5. Modern taxonomy is based on: structural similarity, cellular organization, evolutionary relationships, biochemical similarities, genetic similarities, embryological similarities
6. Cladistics and cladograms: Students will look at a cladogram and answer questions about it
7. History of the Kingdoms: 2-kingdom system, 3-kingdom system, 5-kingdom system, and the 6-kingdom system
8. Three domain system of classification
9. Comparison of the kingdoms in the 6-kingdom system
The product consists of a 5 page worksheet for students and a 3 page answer key for teachers. This worksheet was written with a typical biology I class in mind. It can easily be edited. You will receive both a pdf file and a Word document so that you can make changes to it to suit your needs.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.
You might also be interested in these related products:
Classification and Taxonomy: A complete unit plan of 13 separate products
Classification and Taxonomy Task Cards
Classification of Living Organisms Powerpoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Evolution and Classification: Warm Ups, Bell Ringers and Interactive Notebooks
Classification Using a Dichotomous Key
Test: Classification and Diversity of Life
Dichotomous Key to the Genus "Smiley"
Lab: The Use of Dichotomous Keys in Classification
Dichotomous Classification Key to a "Crazy" Animal Kingdom
Classification and Taxonomy Jeopardy Review Game
Learning to Use and Construct a Dichotomous Classification Key
Classification Crossword Puzzle
Activity: Let's Build a Cladogram!
Classification and Taxonomy Quiz
Science Skills Worksheet and PowerPoint: Comparing and Contrasting
Earth's History and the Origin of Life on Earth PowerPoint with Notes for Student and Teacher
Amy Brown - Science Stuff