Search words: DNA, deoxyribonucleic acid, replication, nucleotides, nitrogen bases, double helix, jeopardy review, powerpoint jeopardy, ribonucleic acid, transcription, translation, protein synthesis.
My students love to review using this Jeopardy Powerpoint review game format. I have found that my students pay far greater attention to the review when it is in a competitive game format.
This product is a bundle of three review games:
Game 1: DNA and Replication
Game 2: RNA and Transcription
Game 3: Translation and Protein Synthesis
This review game has 5 categories with 5 questions in each category, for a total of 25 questions. This powerpoint jeopardy game consists of 53 slides. Please download my free preview. It has the first 12 slides of the game so that you can get an idea of how it works. The game is limited to 25 questions. For this topic, there are many more possible questions that could be asked. If would be very easy for you to delete some of my questions and add some of your own to make this review game more applicable to your students.
The following concepts are covered on each game:
Game #1: DNA Basics and Replication
1. Genes must be able to do what three things?
2. Nucleotides: sugars, phosphates, nitrogen bases
3. The five nitrogen bases
4. Purines and pyrimidines
5. Structure of the DNA molecule
6. Chargaffs rules
7. Historical information: Rosalind Franklin, James Watson, Francis Crick, Maurice Wilkins
8. Base pairing rules and complimentary bases
9. Bonding in the DNA molecule
10. Packing of a large amount of DNA in the small space of the nucleus
12. Steps of replication
13. Origins of replication and replication forks
14. Enzymes: Helicases and DNA polymerases
15. DNA proofreading
16. Repairing damage to DNA: Enzymes nucleases, DNA polymerases, ligases.
Game #2: RNA and Transcription
1. The genetic code: codons, amino acids, gene expression, codon triplets specify amino acids, protein building instructions.
2. The differences between DNA and RNA
3. The three type of RNA and the function of each type.
4. Transcription: definition, purpose, result, steps in transcription
5. RNA processing and editing: why RNA must be modified, introns, exons
Game #3: Translation and Protein Synthesis (Total of 50 questions)
1. The Genetic Code: codons, amino acids, gene expression, codon triplets specify amino acids, protein building instructions.
2. Start and stop codons
3. 64 possible codon combinations and the amino acids they code for
4. Translation: Definition, purpose of translation, steps in translation
5. The role of tRNA in translation
6. Codons and Anticodons
7. The importance of reading the codons in the correct order
8. Structure of the ribosome: large and small subunits, mRNA binding site, three binding sites for tRNA
9. Mutations: Definition, gene mutations, chromosome mutations, point mutations, frameshift mutations, substitutions, deletions, insertions, the importance of mutations in natural selection.
You might also be interested in:
20 related products (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis) shipped to you on one CD
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Powerpoint and Notes for Student and Teacher
Lab: Effect of Environment on Gene Expression
Lab: Chromosome Squashes
Lab: Determining the Traits of a Mystery Organism Through Protein Synthesis
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Crossword Puzzle
Test: DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis
DNA Quiz or Homework (Advanced)
Crossword Puzzle: DNA and REplication
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Worksheet or Study Guide
Test: DNA and Replication
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Set of 4 Homework Assignments
Homework #1: The Basics of DNA
Homework #2: DNA Replication
Homework #3: RNA and Transcription
Homework #4: Protein Synthesis and Translation
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis - Set of 3 quizzes
Quiz #1: DNA and Replication
Quiz #2: RNA and Transcription
Quiz #3: Translation and Protein Synthesis
RNA and Transcription Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Translation and Protein Synthesis Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Test: RNA, transcription and translation
FREE Chart of Amino Acids and Their Codons
Amy Brown Science Stuff