My fairy tale unit is one of my favorites! I always end the year by having students publish their own book - each child writes their own fairy tale! These literacy centers and activities are a great complement to any fairy tale unit. The best part - most of the centers offer the same activity at two different levels of difficulty, making the difficult task of differentiating your literacy centers and small groups a tad bit easier!
In this pack, you will find:
1. Make the Sentence Sparkle - a writing and adjective center; recording sheet provided
2. The Princess and the Frog - an antonym write the room activity
3. Knight and Night - a homonym write the room activity with a follow up recording sheet
4. Fairy Flutter - a fun little partner game, similar to math games like "Knock Off" or "Bump It". 3 different boards are provided to target spelling patterns at different levels of difficulty (CVCe, Long Vowel Teams, R-Controlled Vowel Teams);recording sheets also provided
5. Crown Jewels Word Buidling - students can build words at 2 different levels of difficulty: CVCe and R-controlled patterns; recording sheet provided
6. Dragon Escape - great small group game for word recognition; playing cards are provided targeting long vowel teams and variant vowel teams, but any sight words or word cards could be used.
7. 3 Little Pigs Word Sort - word sorting at 2 levels of difficulty: long a CVCe word families, and R-controlled words (ar, ur, or); recording sheet provided
8. Mad Hatter Wacky Words - Alice and Wonderland themed card game similar to traditional Go Fish, but with nonsense word pairs
9. Mirror, Mirror - my favorite! Students must use a real mirror to reflect backwards words! 2 levels of difficulty: fairy tale vocabulary words and decodable CVCe words; recording sheet provided.
Please check out the free preview download for a sneak peek. If you're looking for more fairy tale ideas (and some freebies!) hop over to my blog post
about our fairy tale unit!