This file uses James Joyce's "Eveline" to study theme.
1. General notes on writing theme statements for short stories (to be printed on an overhead)
2. Handout (or overhead) on how to determine a text's theme.
3. Theme writing practice and peer-checking of theme statements activity.
4. Teacher notes analyzing theme in "Eveline" based on information from overhead notes/handout.
5. 2 Bonus pages--How to use the C.O.A.T. acronym to analyze story beginnings.
8th grade Language Arts (1 year)
9th grade English (2 years)
Yearbook/Newspaper (2 years)
11th Grade Am Lit (7 years)
12th Grade World Lit (7 years)
AP English Language (1 year)
AP English Literature (3 years)