This is a 14-slide PowerPoint presentation to review possessive nouns (I have a PPT to introduce possessives) and introduce commas in contractions. The full presentation includes:
1) a review of possessive nouns;
2) an overview of what a contraction is;
3) an overview of an apostrophe's purpose and placement in a contraction;
4) an overview of common contractions (pronouns + being verbs);
5) practice differentiating between sentences with contractions, possessives, and a common student mistake: plurals with apostrophes (i. e. The dog's ran. GASP!)
NOTE: I may have used a font in this presentation that you don't have on your computer, which will make the text "jump around." If that's the case, please contact me with your email address after downloading, and I'll be happy to email the font to you to prevent you from having to adjust the text.
I am ing my 19th year of teaching and have taught in grades 2, 3, 4, and 5. I have also served as an elementary writing coach.
In addition to teaching, I am a writing consultant for several universities in my home state of Alabama.