This is a 12-slide PowerPoint presentation for grades 4 and up to introduce comma usage in direct addresses and introductory words. The presentation includes:
1) overview of what a direct address is;
2) examples of comma placement in a direct address;
3) overview of what introductory words are;
4) examples of comma placement with introductory words;
5) independent practice identifying and punctuating direct addresses and introductory words.
I am ing my 19th year of teaching and have taught in grades 2, 3, 4, and 5. I have also served as an elementary writing coach.
In addition to teaching, I am a writing consultant for several universities in my home state of Alabama.