This is a set of 24 map skills vocabulary cards that you can use to boost your students vocabulary when teaching geography. I originally created them to look like trading cards so they would be more engaging for my ELL students and soon found that all of my students LOVE using them!
This Map Skills Vocabulary Set includes:
• 24 map skills vocabulary cards with the word and picture on the front and a definition and an example of how to use the word in a sentence on the back.
• The same 24 map skills vocabulary cards with the words on them but blank spaces for students to draw their own picture and space to write their own definition.
• 8 blank cards that students and teacher can use to add more map skills vocabulary terms to as they come across them in their studies
• A template for a labeled box that students can cut out, write their name on and color to store their map skills vocabulary cards in.
• A fun map skills chant I wrote that uses most of this vocabulary in context. My students love to start each day’s lesson off by singing the chant with me.
• A list of ways you can use these map skills vocabulary cards with your students that is based on Robert Marzano’s “Six Steps to Better Vocabulary Instruction”. This list helps me because I can show parents, administrators, other teachers, etc. that I’m using research-based methods in my classroom.
The 24 Map Skills Vocabulary Terms included in this set are:
• Cardinal directions
• Intermediate directions
• Tropic of cancer
• Tropic of Capricorn
• Prime meridian
• political map
• physical map
• relief map
• elevation map
• road map
• historical map
• climate map
• economic map
Thanks for looking at my products!
Map Skills Vocab Cards
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License