Mastery Club is designed to motivate students to seek out and challenge themselves to learn something new. Mastery Club is voluntary and takes very little teacher time to manage. Mastery Club challenges all learners to learn something new and also helps meet the needs of talented and gifted students. Over 4,800 teachers around the world in grades 1-8 are already using Mastery Club in their classrooms.
Students decide which of the 86 challenges they would like to learn about. Students use references and the online links to learn the answer the question, becoming a “1 Star Member.” When 16 challenges have been mastered, students become members of the Hall of Fame. Students track their progress and determine their route through the challenges in this self-directed program.
For the first time ever, I am posting all the materials I created that accompany this awesome program. This set has 175 pages in it and is fully ready to print and use today in your classroom and for years to come!
Update: Website links checked and verified 12/27/12.
• Directions, Hints, and Tips for Implementing Mastery Club in Your Classroom (6 pages – PDF & MS Word)
• Letter Home Explaining Mastery Club (1 pg - MS Word editable)
• All Student Recording Sheets – Each challenge has its own recording answer plus there are two blank forms to add more challenges (88 pages - PDF)
• Student Answer Sheet Template – generic template so you can customize it to fit challenges you might add to the program (1 page – MS Word)
• Teacher Answer Keys – All answer keys and sample answers for open-ended questions and website links to verity responses (35 pages – PDF & MS Word)
• Teacher Recording Chart – This version is for you to print and put into your grade book to record the number of challenges earned. (1 page – PDF & MS Word)
• Student Challenge Questions and Achievements Chart – For students to track their own progress (2 pages – PDF & MS Word)
• Challenges and Web Site Links Handout – The web site links are active in this format so you can go to the web site listed (7 pages – PDF & MS Word)
• Challenges List – All challenges listed in 2 columns on one sheet for your grade book. (1 page – PDF & MS Word)
• Labels or Stickers – These are formatted to print on Avery 8163 2 x 4 inch labels to attach to a student’s Mastery Club folder or binder. Stickers have 3 choices of sayings: Mastery Club, My Mastery Club Folder, and My Mastery Club Binder. Print the ones you choose. (3 pages – PDF & MS Word)
• Stickers to Attach to 86 File Folders in your Mastery Club Crate – There are 3 sheets of labels designed to be printed on Avery 8160 1 x 2-5/8 inch labels. Stickers tell the challenge number and topic. (3 pages – PDF & MS Word)
• Posters - Wall Set of Challenges – This is for you to post on your bulletin board. Posters are printed in large, bold font for good visibility with the 86 challenges listed. Two sets are provided: color and black/white. (14 pages – PDF & MS Word)
• Posters with the Title for Bulletin Board – There are two designs that say, “Join Mastery Club” These can be used to label your crate also. (2 page - PDF)
• Student Certificate of Achievement Template – There are two versions of the template. Both are ready for you to type into. Students deserve recognition for their hard work. (2 pages - PDF to print and write on and also 2 pages – MS Publisher so you can type into the certificate)
• Sample Student Mastery Club certificate filled out (1 page - PDF)
• Poster - Hall of Fame Wall Poster Template – This has colorful title with 5 word art designs ready to click and add student names, number of accomplishments and dates. I save it on my computer and update it by adding new names each year. I simply reprint and post the newest wall chart. (6 pages – MS Word)
Note: The MS Word formatted documents do NOT include the graphics, as my license does not include posting in Word format. You may add your own graphics and clip art to these pages.
Teachers have my permission to change the name of the club and personalize it to meet their needs in their state or country. The full program allows you to copy the web site links and web site challenges to your web site. No other materials in this set may be posted online.
Mastery Club has been a yearly component of my classroom for over 20 years and is highly appreciated by students and parents alike. Enjoy Mastery Club!
12/4/12 Update! Another addition has been made to Mastery Club. Previous purchasers, be sure to download the newest components. :)
by Heather Renz
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Mrs-Renz-Fourth-Grade-Class