Good homework assignments should offer reinforcement of concepts without turning into "busy work". The point of homework is to reinforce, review and strengthen the student's understanding of what is taught at school.
This is a set of two homework assignments that I use when teaching my unit on Matter and Change. The questions are designed to be thought provoking and problem solving in nature.
These homework assignments are appropriate for middle school science, physical science or high school chemistry. (Grades 7 - 10)
Please Note: This product is included in a bundled unit plan of 11 products on Matter and Change. You can view the entire unit by Clicking here: Matter and Change Unit Bundle
The first homework assignment (21 questions) covers the following topics:
1) Properties of Matter: Matter, volume, weight, mass.
2) Elements and Compounds: Atom, molecule, element, compound, mixture, characteristics of elements and compounds.
3) Mixtures: Mixture, how to distinguish mixtures from elements and compounds, homogeneous, heterogeneous, methods of separating mixtures
4) States of Matter: characteristics of solids, liquids, gases; change in phase.
The second homework assignment (28 questions) covers the following topics:
5) Properties and Changes in Matter: Definition of property, intensive and extensive properties, chemical and physical properties
6) Chemical and Physical Changes: definitions and examples, reactants and products
7) Conservation of Mass
You will receive both a Word document as well as a pdf form of each assignment.
All answers are included.
My products related to this topic include:
Matter and Change PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Lab: Conservation of Mass
Lab: Determining Density
Lab: The Boiling Points of Liquids
Test: Matter and Change
Density Practice Problems
Quiz: Matter and Density
Matter and Change Jeopardy Powerpoint Review Game
Matter and Change Crossword Puzzle
Matter and Change 4 Mini Labs
Amy Brown - Science Stuff