Fill your room or hallway with GIANTS as students learn to apply estimating, measurement, and doubling measurements in a dramatic way. Plus you can include reading and writing instruction in this Jack and the Beanstalk elementary math lesson.
After estimating the end result, children measure the different body parts of the giant, double them, transfer them to paper then get busy with paintbrushes.
Click here to see photos of this project in my own room
Click for the 3rd grade version
Click for the 4th grade version
Take a look at the PDF sample for full details. Includes scoring rubric.
Common Core Standards
Measurement and Data 5.MD
- Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
- Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system (e.g., convert 5 cm to 0.05 m), and use these conversions in solving multi-step, real-world problems.
Number and Operations in Base Ten 5.NBT
- Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
- Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
Number and Operations - Fractions 5.NF
- Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add fractions.
- Add fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum...of fractions with like denominators.
...Plus reading and writing standards as extension activities.
Click to see more on my Classroom Caboodle Website.
~ Betsy Weigle