This handout covers all the basics about the microscope. There are 40 fill in the blank questions and 6 short answer questions.
Note: This product is also sold in a large, bundled unit plan called Introduction to Biology Complete Unit Plan
Please Note: This product is also included in my bundled microscope unit lesson plan and can be viewed by clicking here: The Ultimate Microscope Teaching Bundle of 8 Products
Students begin by labeling the parts of the microscope. Other questions cover:
1. The Microscope Introduction: light microscope, electron microscope, simple microscope, compound microscope.
2. The History of the Microscope and Early Cell Studies: Zaccharias Janssen, Robert Hooke, Anton van Leeuwenhoek
3. Modern Compound Microscope: Students will label the parts of the microscope and learn the function of each part.
4. Magnification and Resolution: Definition, how to calculate total magnification
5. Rules for Using the Microscope
6. Preparation of a Wet Mount Slide
7. How to measure a specimen under both the 10x objective and the 40x objective
8. The Electron Microscope: Characteristics, transmission electron microscope, scanning electron microscope, advantages and disadvantages of each
The document can be used as a quiz on the microscope, or it would make a great homework or classwork assignment. This is in Word format and you will also receive a pdf version. Feel free to add or delete questions to better meet your needs. All answers are included.
Please download my free preview to see if this handout is appropriate for your students.
You might also be interested in the following:
Microscope Powerpoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Intro to Biology: A complete unit plan of 20 products
Microscope Crossword Puzzle
Microscope Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Microscope Homework / Study Guide
Microscope Task Cards
Amy Brown Science Stuff