Briefly - a participation grade broken up into the practice section and the performance section - 2 separate grades. I created this to be able to measure more their participation in a more concrete way
I added a second page - another slightly less "cute" version that I may use for my grades 7-8 grade classes
This second page is simple
Each day color in the number - add up at the end of the week - instant grades!
I put this on the overhead each class, have it in front of the room and am planning to make a poster for myself.
The sections - the BE section
1. BE here (physically on time)
2. BE focused (pay attention)
3. BE ready (with papers, to the right page, homework etc.)
4. BE accountable (take responsibility for work, getting it done,
for work on time, for behavior, etc)
1. DO the work (well, on time, make-ups etc.)
2. DO practice (in class, in groups, at home)
3. DO corrections (on homework, quizzes, tests, booklets)
4. DO communicate - (in groups, to the teacher, answers ,
take care of problems etc.)
The students challenged me when I said I could apply this to almost any situation - they said "how about WHALERS in the 17th century?" No kidding!! But I was up to the challenge!
Here was my response:
1. BE here (on the boat or they sail without you! End of your
2. BE focused - Make sure you know where the harpoon is, where
other sailors are, where the whale is... real consequences
3. BE ready (when that whale is there, you may have 1 split second
4. BE accountable (take responsibility - I am sure the other
whalers and shipmates count on you to be a team player and
to do your job
1. DO the work - whatever the ship's captain needs you to do,
you must do, and you must be in shape to do the job!
2. DO practice - A good whaler probably had to practice and
practice his craft to become good !
3. DO corrections - the whaler probably had to correct any bad
swing or throw or this could be really horrible!
4. DO communicate - I am sure they had a system of
communication to help them function as a unit on the boats.
Pick your comparison (sports, teams, dance, cooking, planting, anything!)
This system is clear on expectations and on their responsibilities, and I am able to measure it easier.
If you like this, become a follower! Check out my visuals, my activities, and my other work! (my more detailed participation grade!)