54 Slides! And notes!
Search words: photosynthesis, Autotrophs, Heterotrophs, ADP, ATP, electron transport chain, light reaction, dark reaction, Calvin cycle, pigments, chlorophyll, photosystem, ATP synthase.
If you have never taught a lesson using a Powerpoint presentation, you have to give it a try! My students always prefer this to a traditional lecture.
This powerpoint is on Photosynthesis. It consists of 54 slides that are colorful, informative and visually stimulating. Please download my free preview. The preview consists of the first 13 slides of the presentation with the corresponding notes.
Topics covered are:
1) Autotrophs, Heterotrophs, the flow of energy through an ecosystem.
2) Chemical energy and ATP: definitions/explanations of ADP and ATP, the structure of ATP, how ADP becomes ATP, uses of ATP
3) Overview of photosynthesis
4) Chlorophyll and other pigments: pigment, chloroplasts, chromoplasts, visible spectrum, absorption and reflection of different wavelengths of light, types of chlorophyll
5) Leaf Anatomy: Students will label the parts of a leaf and define cuticle, palisade, spongy cells, mesophyll, stomata, vascular bundle, xylem, phloem
6) Structure of the Chloroplast: Students will label a drawing and define outer membrane, inner membrane, thylakoids, grana, stroma, chlorophyll, photosystems.
7) Electron carriers: Short discussion on electrons, energy levels of electrons, excited electrons, electron transport chain, NADP+, NADPH.
8) An overview of the stages of photosynthesis: light dependent reactions and light independent reactions. Includes an equation for photosynthesis that outlines the reactants and the products of photosynthesis.
9) The Light reactions: photosystem I and photosystem II, splitting of water molecules, electron transport chain, production of ATP and NADPH, release of oxygen, ATP synthase
10) Calvin Cycle: includes basics of carbon fixation, reduction of PGA to form PGAL, regeneration of RuBP, how glucose if formed
11) Water loss from the plant
12) Factors affecting the rate of photosynthesis: water, temperature, light intensity
NOTE: This PowerPoint is also included in a bundled package containing 15 products (labs, notes, quizzes, homework assignments, unit test) on photosynthesis. The bundled package can be viewed here: Photosynthesis Complete Unit Plan of 15 Products
This powerpoint was written with a typical biology I class in mind. It can easily be edited. Middle school teachers may simply want to delete a few of the slides. Honors teachers can easily include a few extra details.
Also included is a set of notes to accompany this powerpoint. It includes a complete set of notes for the teacher, and an outline of the notes for the students. Students will use the outline as the powerpoint is being presented and will fill in the notes as the lesson is being taught.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.
You might also be interested in the following:
Lab: Leaf Structure and Function
Lab: Pigment Chromatography
Lab: Stomata - Gateways into the Leaf
Photosynthesis Homework Assignments - Set of 3
Photosynthesis Crossword Puzzle
Photosynthesis Quizzes - Set of 3
Photosynthesis Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Photosynthesis Complete Unit Plan - 15 separate products
Biology Lab: Stomata - Gateways into the Leaf
Amy Brown - Science Stuff