This is a set of three different quizzes on photosynthesis. These are fairly short and are used to check for understanding before we reach test day. Your download will include both Word document and pdf files. Feel free to make changes to better meet the needs of your students.
All answers are included.
Below is a synopsis of what is covered in each quiz:
Quiz #1 Includes:
1. 24 fill in the blank questions and 4 short answer question.
2. The difference between autotrophs and heterotrophs; the flow of energy through the ecosystem.
3. ADP / ATP: What are these molecules? What do the letters stand for? What are these molecules composed of? What is the role of ATP in the cell? How does ADP become ATP? What is ATP used for?
4. Overview of Photosynthesis: General purpose of photosynthesis; equation for photosynthesis; reactants and products of photosynthesis; how the plant obtains water and carbon dioxide.
5. Chlorophyll and Other Pigments: definition of pigment; chloroplasts and chromoplasts; colors of the visible spectrum; absorption and reflection of wavelengths of light; leaf anatomy; functions of the parts of the leaf.
6. Structure of the chloroplast: double membrane, thylakoids, grana, stroma, chlorophyll, photosystems.
Quiz #2 Includes:
1. 30 fill in the blank questions
3. Electron Carriers: High energy electron carriers, electron transport chain, NADP+, NADPH
4. Overview of the stages of photosynthesis: What are the reactants and products of the light dependent reactions? What are the reactants and products of the light independent reactions? Where does each take place in the chloroplast?
5. Light dependent reaction: Photosystem 1 and photosystem II, the roles of the chlorophyll pigments, the splitting of the water molecule, the electron transport chain to replace electrons in photosystem I, the electron transport chain to produce NADPH, the production of ATP by ATP synthase, the release of oxygen to the atmosphere.
Quiz #3 Includes:
1. 22 fill in the blank questions and one short answer question.
2. The Calvin Cycle: Carbon fixation, RuDP plus carbon dioxide, PGA, PGAL, the use of the high energy products of NADPH and ATP from the light dependent reaction, the formation of glucose, the regneration of RuBP.
3. The water loss dilemma: The battle by plants against dehydration, the role of the stomata in photosynthesis and transpiration.
4. Factors affecting the rate of photosynthesis: availability of water, temperature, light intensity.
NOTE: This product is also included in a bundled package containing 15 products (labs, notes, quizzes, homework assignments, unit test) on photosynthesis. The bundled package can be viewed here: Photosynthesis Complete Unit Plan of 15 Products
You might also be interested in the following:
Photosynthesis Powerpoint with Teacher and Student Notes
Lab: Leaf Structure and Function
Lab: Pigment Chromatography
Lab: Stomata - Gateways into the Leaf
Photosynthesis Homework Assignments - Set of 3
Photosynthesis Crossword Puzzle
Photosynthesis Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Photosynthesis Complete Unit Plan - 15 separate products
Biology Lab: Stomata - Gateways into the Leaf
Amy Brown - Science Stuff