Topic: Population Ecology
This complete teaching unit plan contains 8 separate products. This bundled unit contains 6 to 7 days of teaching materials if you complete all of the enclosed labs and activities. It includes everything you need to teach a unit on population ecology to your life science or biology students. My free preview gives a complete description of each product that is included.
When appropriate, I have included each product as an editable Word document, and I have also included each product in PDF form. Each of these products is sold separately in my TpT store, but buying the entire unit in one download will save you money. If each of these products were purchased separately, the total cost would be $19.50. I am selling the complete bundle of products for $12.99.
All answers are included.
The products included in this teaching bundle are:
Population Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Population Ecology Quiz or Homework Practice
Population Ecology Homework Assignments / Study Guide
Population Ecology Unit Test
Population Ecology Review PowerPoint Q/A
Population Ecology Lab: The Wild Bean Population
Ecology Activity: Modeling Population Growth
Set of 6 Ecology Crossword Puzzles
Topics covered in this unit are:
1. Characteristics of Populations: Definition of population, geographic distribution, density, dispersion, growth rate, and age structure.
2. Types of Dispersion: Clumped, even, and random, definitions and examples are given.
3. Population Dynamics: Birth rate, death rate, life expectancy.
4. Patterns of mortality: Survivorship Curves, the three types are defined and explained, examples given.
5. Life Histories: Big-bang reproduction and repeated reproduction
6. Population Growth: Growth rate, factors that determine the size of a population, migration, density, exponential growth, carrying capacity, limits to population growth, graphs of different types of population growth, logistic growth, assumptions of the exponential model and the logistic model.
7. Limits to Growth: Limiting factors, examples of limiting factors, density-dependent factors, competition, predation, parasitism, disease, territoriality, density independent factors.
8. Human Population Growth: The history of human population growth, current human population growth, demographic transition, age-structure diagrams.
The PowerPoint consists of 56 slides that are colorful, informative and visually stimulating. Pictures and diagrams are included that will greatly enhance your instruction to your students. This product also includes a set of notes for the teacher and a set of notes for the student. The students get an outline of the notes that they fill in as the PowerPoint lesson is being presented.
This teaching bundle is appropriate for all biology students in grades 8 - 12.
You may also be interested in these related products:
Introduction to Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Community Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Ecosystems and the Biosphere Part 1: Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Ecosystems and the Biosphere Part 2: Biomes of the World PowerPoint and Notes
Humans and the Environment PowerPoint and Notes
Amy Brown - Science Stuff