Shape-a-Story combines art, creative thinking, storytelling and writing. It's an engaging and versatile activity that can be used as a literacy center, a class writing assignment, or as a family homework project.
How does it work?
1. Students examine the various shapes and think about how they could combine them to make pictures to tell a story.
2. They plan a story using the included "think sheet" story planner.
3. They use the shapes to create illustrations to represent each part of their story. They can lay the shapes out on a story mat as a center activity, then draw similar illustrations on their own paper, OR cut their own set of shapes and glue pieces in the illustration area of their writing paper.
4. After they have completed the pictures, they can tell their story orally to a friend, and/or write their story in the Shape-a-Story booklet provided.
5. Summary questions are also provided to encourage students to make connections between their illustrations and the story.
Common Core aligned for grade 3:
*W.3.3. Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
*RL.3.7. Explain how specific aspects of a text’s illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story (e.g., create mood, emphasize aspects of a character or setting)
Be sure to download the preview document for more information and images.You may also like my Shape-a-Story packet for fall.
It's a freebie!
Thank you for visiting my store!
If you're happy with this resource, please come back and leave me a rating. I love hearing from you! :)
Also find me here...
A word about copyright...All rights reserved. This product is bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact the author if you wish to be granted special permissions.