Sharing favorite books is one of my favorite back-to-school activities! It’s a great way to build a sense of community among your students. My SMART Board file has everything you need for this activity, (except for the books!)
At the beginning of the year, I ask my students to bring in a “Forever Book”, which is that special book from “when you were little” that you begged to read over and over again, and probably knew by heart. I model by sharing my Forever Book, and then, over the course of the first week or two, 5-6 students a day share their books.
Inevitably, multiple students choose the same book, or exclaim how much they also loved a book that a classmate brought in, which helps us see more ways we are alike.
Included in This File:
• Directions for Use
• Editable Word doc. note to go home explaining the project, in both primary and intermediate versions
• Primary Chart for sharing Forever Books
• Intermediate chart for sharing Forever Books
• Primary Chart for sharing current favorite Books
• Intermediate chart for sharing current favorite Books
• Random Name Picker: You type in your students’ names, set it for “No Repeats”, and it’s a fun way to see who will go next, complete with sound effects!
• Recording chart for both “Forever Books”, and current favorite books for up to 30 students, (You can clone the page if you need more, but I hope for your sake that you don’t have more than 30 students!)
Please note that, while this is a Smart Notebook file, the pages in the preview are only screenshots so the name picker is not interactive.
If you enjoy this file, I would love feedback. Did you know that every time you leave feedback, you earn TPT credits which can be redeemed for merchandise? Also, please visit my store to see my other SMART Board products and follow me to hear updates on new items.
Cathy McGaffin, aka Downeast Teach