Nonsense Word Change is a catchy little card game designed to help students have fun while practicing short vowel sounds and CVC blending. I typically start out playing the game with my small groups at teacher table and then put it in a work station/center. Play is somewhat similar to the card game UNO.
When introducing the game, I have students lay their cards flat on the table, so I can see them and guide their choices. Once they catch onto the game (which does not take very long), students begin to demonstrate strategic thinking by carefully choosing the cards they place on the pile - particularly if an opponent is down to one card and could possibly win the game.
When all players have a solid grasp of the game, I let them use *card holders to hide their cards from other players.
I have included a miniature version of the cards and directions for students to play at home. The cards may also be used as flash cards to boost CVC blending fluency.
Included in this card game kit:
- Cover page
- Description of Game and Directions for making card holders
- 1 Nonsense Word Change Game Directions page
- 1 set of Nonsense Word Change Game cards (cut & laminate)
- 1 page containing 3 copies of directions (for student take-home version)
- 1 set of student take-home version (miniature) cards to print on cardstock and place in snack bags