1. To observe how accuracy of measurements is dependent upon the instrument or equipment being used.
2. To understand how significant digits are used when making measurements.
3. To reinforce student knowledge of the rules of significant digits.
Materials Needed: Handout from your instructor showing three different rulers, Rectangular wood block (or another regular shaped item), Three different balances of different precisions, Calculator
This lab is a fun and easy way to reinforce the concept and rules of significant digits and how they are used when making measurements. It is easy to set up, clean up, and provides hands-on experience and practice to your students in how significant digits are used by scientists when making measurements.
The completed document contains:
1) A five-page handout for the student that is ready to be copied and passed out. A five-page handout for the instructor containing answers and teaching instructions / tips.
2) Student handouts include title, introduction, purpose, materials list, safety precautions, procedure, data tables, "analyzing the data" section, and final observations.
3) Students will make measurements using instruments of various precisions and accuracies. All measurements will be made using the correct number of significant digits. Students will use these measurements in various calculations and calculate the percent error.
4) Students will answer questions about the rules of significant digits.
5) Practice problems are provided: Students will determine how many significant digits are in a measurement, students will write numbers to an indicated number of significant digits, students will round numbers to an indicated number of significant digits, students will add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers and report their answers to the correct number of significant digits.
6) Complete answer key is provided.
7) Instructor pages include directions for the teacher and teaching tips to make the implementation of this activity more efficient and more effective for the students.
8) The "handout from your instructor" showing three different rulers that was mentioned in the materials list is included in your download as a jpeg photo.
This product, along with 7 other products, is included in a bundled unit plan on Significant Digits. Click here to see the listing for the complete unit plan: Significant Digit Bundled Unit Plan
This product is included in my Science Skills Mega-Bundle of 61 files.This Science Skills Bundle contains 61 different files on science skills, including metric system, scientific method, scientific notation, graphing, significant digits, experimental design, comparing and contrasting and more.
You might also be interested in the following:
Significant Digits Powerpoint Presentation
Significant Digits Notes to accompany PowerPoint
Significant Digits Jeopardy Review Game
Significant Digits Practice Worksheet
Quiz: Calculating with Significant Digits and Metric System
Metric Measurements Jeopardy Review Game
Worksheet: Rounding and Calculating with Significant Digits
Scientific Notation Powerpoint, Notes and Worksheet
Test: Scientific Measurement
Amy Brown - Science Stuff