Real world scenario: A famous movie director wants his next film to be about the life and death of Edgar Allan Poe and has has tasked the film's head writer with researching the various theories surrounding Poe's death.
Collaboration: Students will assume the role of writer, and together, they will research, create, and pitch their theory to the movie's development team. The winning team will have their names featured in the movie's credits!
Research: Perfect for younger students as well as older students! In this unit, students are given a website to use in the research process, but more advanced students can use this website as a springboard, launching their investigation even further.
Communication: Students will examine the parts of the presentation, persuasive media literacy techniques, and communication skills in preparation for their pitch. The product created will be available in an online format, easily shared with the world beyond their classroom walls!
Creativity: Students have the option to create projects that appeal to a variety of learning styles. Student choices are endless! I have included a list of Web 2.0 websites my students have enjoyed using in the past as well as a few other project ideas.
In this download, you will receive the following:
1. A 15 page teacher's manual including fully developed lesson plans with essential questions, materials list, and step-by-step directions with set inductions featuring links to Youtube videos.
2. An ActivInspire flipchart for each lesson that uses sliders and revealer tools.
3. A pdf student manual that houses all of the handouts for the entire unit in one easy to manage download.
4. Ready to use grading rubrics! Available in a printable format or spreadsheet form (Google Docs)
5. Student self-reflection activity also available in printable format or in Google Docs forms.
This unit is 100% ready to use and would be the perfect technology project to accompany the study of any of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories or poems.