With so much focus and energy being placed on test scores these days, especially in Language Arts, it’s nearly impossible to have the time to teach the entire science curriculum. The Common Core State Standards have provided an excellent way for teachers to integrate Science into English Language Arts. The Six Major Land Biomes: A Science Unit and Research Project is the perfect way to do just that. This unit covers the following biomes, but you could easily add your own: Tundra, Taiga (Boreal Forest), Grassland, Desert, Tropical Rain Forest, Deciduous (Temperate) Forest.
I’ve taken the objectives for this particular unit and turned them into a cross-curricular, rich unit that incorporates the science concepts with informational reading, informative/explanatory writing, and the speaking and listening skills. Working collaboratively, students will research one of the six major biomes. Using their research, students will create a brochure and 3D model and will present their information to a group of peers.
In this unit, students act as travel agents that have been hired by a new travel agency. Their task is to research a specific biome (this may be student-chosen, or assigned) in order to be able to persuade potential travelers to want to visit the biome. More instructions are given in the instruction letter.
With the materials given, this unit could last anywhere from two to four weeks. However, it can easily be modified, lengthened, or condensed to meet the needs of the teacher and students.
This 43-page resource includes:
• suggestions for teaching the unit
• Common Core State Standards that will be met within the unit
• Science objectives
• List of suggested books to use for research and/or guided reading
• Form letters to students (with examples)
• Various student handouts
• Two different note-taking organizers
• Introduction/information page on biomes
• Notes page on animal adaptations
• Options for extra credit (or for students that just want to go above and beyond the expectations)
• Presentation rubric
• End-of-unit test (with answer key)
• 6 colorful Biome Posters/Signs
When you download this item, I would appreciate your feedback. :)
Here's to a great, successful year! ~Tanya Rae Designs