The Ugly Pumpkin is a touching rhyming story based on the same idea of The Ugly Duckling. This story teaches a wonderful lesson about acceptance. It transitions from an end to Halloween and a new beginning into Thanksgiving.
This unit includes
1. Ugly Pumpkin/Beautiful Squash Art Activity
Includes Materials List and Directions.
2. Text to Self Connection Writing
3. Text to Text Connection Writing
The Ugly Pumpkin and The Ugly Duckling
4. Venn Diagram
5. ABC Order Magnets to be used on a cookie
6. Recording Sheet and Cutouts for the ABC
7. Thanksgiving Word Search
8. Bubble Map
9. Doubles Math Game. Match the pumpkin
numbers and squash dots.
10. Scarecrow Recording Sheet for Doubles Math
Game and Answer Key
11. Bulletin Board Title Idea.
12. List of Questions to Ask During Reading.
My students love this story! The activities are a great addition to my fall unit!
January 22, 2013
Very well done!
December 14, 2012
We just finished the unit and I'll do it again next year!
December 6, 2012
I love this story
December 5, 2012
I love this book! My students loved this book! What a great idea for incorporating the theme of the story (friendship and differences). I used the Squash craft and added a speech bubble for the Ugly Pumpkin to give advice to other pumpkins/squash!
November 26, 2012
My students are really enjoying the activities and other teachers have asked where I am getting my ideas so I am passing the website on to colleagues! thanks a bunch!
November 15, 2012
Perfect for use when reading The Ugly Pumpkin! Cute art project.