My students love to review using this Jeopardy Powerpoint review game format. I have found that my students pay far greater attention to the review when it is in a competitive game format.
Search words: RNA, ribonucleic acid, transcription, amino acid, codon, gene expression, uracil, nitrogen base, messenger RNA, transfer RNA, ribosomal RNA, translation, protein synthesis.
This game can be purchased bundled with two other jeopardy review games at this link, DNA, RNA Protein Synthesis Jeopardy Game Bundle
PLEASE NOTE: This PowerPoint is also included in a bundled unit plan containing 20 different products on DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis. You can view the bundled unit plan by clicking here: DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis Complete Unit Plan.
This review game has 5 categories with 5 questions in each category.
Topics covered are:
1. The Genetic Code: codons, amino acids, gene expression, codon triplets specify amino acids, protein building instructions.
2. Start and stop codons
3. 64 possible codon combinations and the amino acids they code for
4. Translation: Definition, purpose of translation, steps in translation
5. The role of tRNA in translation
6. Codons and Anticodons
7. The importance of reading the codons in the correct order
8. Sample Problem: Given the sequence on the DNA molecule, students will give the mRNA codon sequence, the tRNA anticodon sequence, and the order of amino acids for coded for.
9. Structure of the ribosome: large and small subunits, mRNA binding site, three binding sites for tRNA
10. Mutations: Definition, gene mutations, chromosome mutations, point mutations, frameshift mutations, substitutions, deletions, insertions, the importance of mutations in natural selection.
This game was written with a typical biology I class in mind. It can easily be edited to make the questions more simple, or more advanced.
This powerpoint jeopardy game consists of 53 slides. Please download my free preview. It has the first 13 slides of the game so that you can get an idea of how it works. The game is limited to 25 questions. For this topic, there are many more possible questions that could be asked. If would be very easy for you to delete some of my questions and add some of your own to make this review game more applicable to your students.
You might also want to look at:
DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis: Complete Unit Plan of 20 products
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Powerpoint and Notes for Student and Teacher
Lab: Effect of Environment on Gene Expression
Lab: Chromosome Squashes
Lab: Determining the Traits of a Mystery Organism Through Protein Synthesis
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Crossword Puzzle
Test: DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis
DNA Quiz or Homework (Advanced)
Crossword Puzzle: DNA and Replication
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Worksheet or Study Guide
Test: DNA and Replication
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Set of 4 Homework Assignments
Homework #1: The Basics of DNA
Homework #2: DNA Replication
Homework #3: RNA and Transcription
Homework #4: Protein Synthesis and Translation
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis - Set of 3 quizzes
Quiz #1: DNA and Replication
Quiz #2: RNA and Transcription
Quiz #3: Translation and Protein Synthesis
RNA and Transcription Powerpoint Jeopardy Game
DNA and RNA Powerpoint Jeopardy REview Games - Set of Three Games
Test: RNA, transcription and translation
FREE Chart of Amino Acids and Their Codons
Amy Brown Science Stuff