This unit is also sold as individual lessons.
Veteran’s Day is a wonderful time to celebrate our nations heroes. This unit focuses on patriotic symbols as well as celebrating service men and women. This is an entire days worth of Veteran’s day activities.
The math graphing lesson polls your students families military service then the class compiles the data to create and analyze bar and pictographs. This is a wonderful way to celebrate the heroes in your students’ families. When I have done this in the past my students have beamed with pride to share their parents, grandparents and siblings military service history.
The literacy centers focus on the history of the Pledge of Allegiance, Changes to the United States Flag, and history of Veteran’s Day itself. Students will enjoy choosing their required assignments by playing tic-tac-toe.
The three writing prompts included in this unit focus on patriotism. Each prompt has a planning sheet and stationary to write the final draft on. The Acrostic Poetry stationary can be used as a cover for final writing products. The scoring rubric is aligned with CCSS grades 3-5. This packet can be a weeks worth of literacy centers or 3 hour-long lessons.
What is included?
• 4 pages of suggested activities/lessons
• 1 page Veteran’s Day KWL chart
• 7 Page writer’s workshop including writing menu with three patriotic themed expository writing prompts.
• 1 Page scoring rubric aligned with CCSS grades 3-5
• 1 page student stationary to create A Veteran’s Day acrostic poem.
• 2 pages tic-tac-toe Veteran’s Day centers
• History of American Flag Center
• History of Pledge of Allegiance Literacy Center
• Veteran’s Day History Reading with open-ended response questions
• 1 page letter to parents
• 3 page students packet graphing activity (including 1 page homework assignment)
• 1 page interview form
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License