Wordplay! The Game Show
is a fun PowerPoint game show based on vocabulary-building word games.
In my Ten-Minute Grammar
daily language units, I include a series of word games that I tag onto the end of every day's grammar bell-ringer. My students love the Wordplay activities so much that I thought it would be fun to turn them into a game show for special occasions.
The game show includes ten different word games
* "Eight Ball"
- Students create as many words as they can using eight random letters (at least one eight-letter word is always possible)
* "Four-Letter Words"
- Students start with a four-letter word and then change one letter at a time to create a series of words that are only one letter different from one another
* "Catalog Creator"
- Students are given a prefix, suffix, or root and must list as many words as they can that contain it
- Starting with a high-level multisyllabic word, students have to list words that have the same prefix, suffix, or root
* "Rhyme Thyme"
- Students start with an assigned word and list as many rhyming words as they can
- Students must reorganize the letters in several nonsense words to make words that actually make sense (and match the hint)
- Students must descramble five words--one with four letters, one with five, one with six, one with seven, and one with eight
- Students list as many synonyms and antonyms as they can for a given word
* "Say What?"
- Students must decode a common saying, movie quote, or song lyric
* "Alternate Endings"
- Students add different suffixes to come up with as many alterations of a word as they can
This product download will come as a 52-slide PowerPoint complete with fun animations, music, and sound effects. A separate PDF file with game instructions is also included.
If you like these activities, check out the other Wordplay!
products in my store or my Ten-Minute Grammar
units, which incorporate the Wordplay games as a bonus activity after daily grammar bell-ringers.
I hope your students have a blast with this and don't forget to WRITE A REVIEW
Created by Arik Durfee