Part I. Identification: Identify in one strong sentence.
1. Aunt Betsey Ellenâ€™s aunt who takes her in for one weekend [answers can vary]
2. Julia Ellenâ€™s kind teacher who takes her in [answers can vary]
3. The magician Ellenâ€™s imagination/â€DEATHâ€/Ellenâ€™s idea of God
4. Dora Ellenâ€™s obnoxious cousin who pees her pants [answers can vary]
5. Mavis The black woman who works for Ellenâ€™s Grandmother
Part II. Quote Framing: For each quote, tell me: a. who is being discussed; b. the context of the quote (ie-whatâ€™s going on in the story?); and c. if it fulfills a motifâ€”not all will.
Example: â€œShe did ask who kept everything so clean and he took the credit.â€
a. The â€œsheâ€ is the mother and â€œheâ€ is her father. .
b. Ellenâ€™s mother has just come home from the hospital. Her fatherâ€™s taking credit for the cleaning that Ellen did while her mother was away.
1. â€œVomit them up, mamaâ€(9).
a. Ellen b. Ellenâ€™s mother has just overdosed on pills and Ellen is trying to get her to vomit them so she doesnâ€™t die c. death
2. â€œMy daddy wonders if I plan to tell somebody the whole storyâ€(15).
a. Ellen b. After her motherâ€™s funeral, Ellen is with her family at her home, and Ellenâ€™s father worries that Ellen will say something about how he didnâ€™t let Ellen try to save her mother c. death
3. â€œI know they expect this dress back dryâ€(17).
a. Ellenâ€”talking about Dora and her mother b. Ellen is in the limo on the way to the funeral of her mother and Dora has just peed her pants. The dress Ellen is wearing belongs to Dora and it is getting wet with Doraâ€™s urine. C. n/a
That's all I have time to go through right now. I'll try to do the rest when I have a chance. Some of it's hard b/c I haven't read the book since last year. And this format may be hard for you to read. Sorry!!!
August 7, 2010