Looking for a fun, easy and effective way to get your students to learn letter sounds? Put your students on the fast track to reading proficiency with the funky, upbeat style of Urban Alphabeats! Not just for kids, this enjoyable musical teaching resource works just as effectively for adults, and produces proven results in record time. Students progress quickly with this letter/sound acquisition resource, as they learn to synthesize sounds, create words with meaning and ultimately move on to reading with confidence. Best of all - they don't realize how hard they're working because they're too busy having fun! Teacher tested, student approved, Urban Alphabeats is the number one choice for educators, parents and adult learners alike. See it in action in the video above!
Who Can Use It:
• Teachers interested in adopting a fresh new approach to their students learning to read
• Parents who'd like to boost their kids' reading skills at home / Homeschoolers
• Adults new to the language (ESL, EAL)
• Students with Special Needs
• JK/SK- Grade 8
• Early Childhood Education instructors
How to Use It:
The zip file contains 4 tracks:
1. Performance sample track, everyone sings along to learn
2. Instrumental w/ vocals: once students have mastered the sounds, they can do a solo performance or teachers can get creative and use this track to practice problem areas and to meet assessment needs.
3. Males only: if you are teaching a male you may prefer to sing with the male voice
4. Female only: if you are teaching a female, you may prefer singing along to this track
5. BONUS TRACK *NEW* - Instrumental, NO Vocals: Teachers preferring to use their own favourite resources such as Jolly Phonics can now adapt them to Urban Alphabeats' fun and upbeat music. Do it your way; use your favourite methods set to the pure instrumental - without any of the vocals or accompanying background ad-libs found in the previous tracks. Go on and get creative!
• Pattie Cake with a partner as you sing along to the sounds
• Create a letter sound picture book as an end assessment piece
• Hop Scotch: Jump and Say each letter sound
• Limit Focus: select a group of sounds to work on each week instead of attempting them all at once
• Musical Interlude: have students repeat the sounds they seem to struggle with as they sing along; reinforce, reinforce, reinforce!
• Use familiar actions such as those used with Jolly Phonics, set instead to the funky beat of Urban Alphabeats.
• Create your own actions! Students enjoy coming up with personal actions that they can remember!
• If you are an adult just learning letter sounds, download and add the tracks to your mp3 player or mobile device and sing along as you go about your daily routine eg: play it in the car and join in as you drive!
What Classroom Teachers can do: (depending on age group)
• Gym class warm-up
• Line up inside and wait as you sing the sounds
• As a routine change to-singing in the morning, sing just before lunch, sing at the end of the day
• Do it as a Daily Physical Activity (DPA) routine
• Use it in Drama class and create letter tableaux
• Use Urban Alphabeats on its own or combine it with another resource/ program
About The Teacher Author:
Lorraine Harris has been teaching for over 18 years - 15 of these as an English as an Additional Language (EAL) instructor. Her expertise focuses on the elementary, secondary and University levels of instruction. This project was borne out of the need for the creation of a method that would encourage EAL students to learn letter sounds quickly, and in a way that they would enjoy. Urban Alphabeats' funky musical style brings letter sound learning to life. Educators have been successfully using the resource in its pilot stage, even adapting actions from other programs they've used to its music. Others, along with their students devise their own actions to help retain the letter sounds. The encouragement of these teachers and their demand for this product led to its being offered here on TPT! Download it now and enjoy real results!