50 articulation cards! Low prep and printer ink usage!
75% of 4-5-year-olds no longer produce the phonological process of consonant cluster reduction (Pena-Brooks & Hedge, 2008).
For Speech-Language Pathologists working on consonant cluster reduction errors with students in kindergarten and up.
Using a hole punch, students track repetitions of /s/l/r/n/ clusters or blends depending on their level in the speech hierarchy:
• imitated sentences
• generated sentence/structured conversation
This is a 15 printable page download (30 total pages with instructions and credits). Included are 5 mini-books:
1. L clusters in initial and medial word position (10 target pictures)
2. N clusters in all word positions – (10 target pictures)
HINT: In Spanish-Influenced English and AAE /ŋ/ may be reduced in all positions (Owens, 2008).
3. R clusters in initial and medial word position – (10 target pictures)
HINT: In AAE many /r/ clusters are reduced (Owens, 2008).
4. S clusters in initial word position (1 syllable) – (10 target pictures)
5. S clusters in initial word position (2-3 syllables) – (10 target pictures)
HINT: In Spanish-influenced English an /e/ may be added to the begging of the /s/ cluster (Owens, 2008).
The words are arranged by number of syllables and/or manner (stops, fricatives, nasals, etc.) of speech production.
Begin using when students can produce clusters in isolation.
Where and How:
Use in individual or small group speech sessions.
1. Cut out each page of the mini-book.
HINT: you can cut all three print-outs at the same time to save precious time.
2. Highlight the word, sentence or prompt based on the student’s goal.
3. Students punch a hole for each accurate production.
4. Punch a hole in the corner and secure with a paperclip for home practice.
100 Punches R
100 Punches L
The Legend of the Bluebonnet: Narrative-Based Speech Intervention
Peña-Brooks, A., & Hedge, M.N. (2007). Assessment and treatment of articulation and phonological disorders in children. Austin, TX: PRO-ED.
Owens, R. E. (2008). Language development: An introduction (7th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.