Tone is meaning. If a student misunderstands the tone of a passage, he or she will likely miss the author’s purpose. This 69-page product is designed to give students a tone vocabulary, the ammunition they need as they learn to explain the difference between frustrated and vexed, between defiant and belligerent.
This document contains the following elements:
• Product Description and hyperlinked complementary resource list (1 page)
• Suggestions for Use (1 page)
• Ten sets of ten tone words (1 page chart)
• A dictionary.com tone definitions chart for teacher use (4 pages)
• An optional blank definitions chart for student use (4 pages)
• A vocabulary graphic organizer (2 pages)
This graphic organizer helps students to approach each word—or difficult words—from several directions. Both color and black/white versions are included.
• Ten tone quizzes and corresponding answer keys (20 pages)
Quiz format is challenging context-clue passages with occasional short-passage tone identification. Correct spelling is required.
• Large-print words for a classroom tone word wall (33 pages, 3 words per page)
Common Core Alignment:
You might also like this Tone Categories Poster Pack
, which features the same go-to list of words.
This product is included in this Tone BUNDLE
A GREAT BUY: This product is included in my AP English Language Composition Product BUNDLE
Earn TPT Credits
Every time you make a purchase on Teachers Pay Teachers and leave feedback, you earn credit toward a future purchase. How does it work? After logging in, go to My Purchases and find the Provide Feedback button beside each product. Leave a fair rating and a comment about the resource, and you're done!
Come collaborate with me!
Blog (Musing Mama K)