$2.00 for the next 48 hours! Kids love the challenge of this activity! Download the Preview to give this a try.
Present or review proverbs with this activity. Each proverb includes a "code" to decipher the proverb (great for vocabulary and thinking), the actual proverb, and the proverb's meaning.
I laminated the 10 proverbs I wanted to use that day and had students cut out the triangles for me. For some students, this was their first encounter with some of these proverbs. After completing the "Cooperative Scavenger Hunt" where students scramble to match the three triangles (containing the proverb, code, and, meaning), I stored them in a manila envelope for next year. I didn't use all the sayings, but I still ended up with 10 days of activities!
ELA Centers: These triangles can also be spread out on a table where students work together to match the triangles to form proverb triads.
1. Once a triad is formed, have students check it with you. If not correct, the group should go back to searching. If correct, send them out as ambassadors to help others.
2. Have students do the activity without talking!
3. When correct, have each triad write and illustrate the proverb and meaning on chart paper.
4. When the entire class is finished, collect the triangles. Read the MEANINGS and see if students can come up with the proverb.
5. Have students research the origin of their proverb.
6. Challenge students to create their own proverb triads.