• FUN, FUN, FUN!
• I used this activity in our staff development and it was a hit!
• My kids love word games. This is like Tabu matching game for idioms. Thanks!
PDF and PowerPoint files
Present or review proverbs with this activity. Students decipher a circumlocutory statement (code) in order to decipher the proverb (great for vocabulary and thinking) and discover the proverb's meaning.
SUGGESTIONS FOR PREPARATION
I laminated the 10 proverbs I wanted to use that day and had students cut out the triangles for me. For some students, this was their first encounter with some of these proverbs. After completing the "Cooperative Scavenger Hunt" where students scramble to match the three triangles that create a triad (the proverb, code, and, meaning), I stored the 30 triangles in a manila envelope with the key for use next year. I ended up with more than 10 days of activities!
1. Triangles can be spread out on a table where students work together to form proverb triads.
2. Proverbs and meanings can be listed within a t-chart in writing journals.
3. Students can make a mini-book of proverbs and add illustrations.
LARGE GROUP OPTIONS
1. Once a triad is formed, have students check it with you. If not correct, the group should go back to searching. If correct, send them out as ambassadors to help others.
2. Have students do the activity without talking!
FOLLOW UP ACTIVITIES
1. When all proverbs have been matched up correctly, have each triad illustrate the proverb on chart paper. Then ask students to present their illustrations to the class to see if they can guess the proverb they illustrated.(I kept some illustrations to use next year.)
2. When the entire class is finished, collect the triangles. Read the meanings and see if students can come up with the proverb.
3. Have students research the origin of their proverb.
4. Challenge students to create their own proverb triads.
ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS FOR LEARNING FUN
101 PROMPTS for making LISTS in 60 seconds
WOULD YOU RATHER 212 Thought-Provoking Icebreakers and Discussion Cards
EMOJI WRITING STRIPS 42 Weeks of Writing Prompts for Rebus Stories
Humorous Creative Narrative Writing Card Decks for Writing Stories
NOUNS PowerPoint and Flip-book Comprehensive and Motivating Unit!
Thank you for stopping by!
Click here to go to my store.