Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
The Battle of Hastings Activity Pack
1. The Battle of Hastings Story and Quiz
Plus activity sheets and video links.
To be able to explain about the Battle of Hastings.
This works brilliantly for expanding vocabulary and creative thinking skills.
20 questions within 38 slides; excellent pictures and sources to engage and motivate pupils study. Includes documentary video link.
Also includes 10 analysis questions for looking at the death of King Harold from the Bayeux Tapestry.
This is an excellent activity/game/plenary to further improve student’s work and knowledge.
I split the class into two teams (in one class I have girls against boys but in another class I have just divided the room down the middle) and when we play the game each side decides on a volunteer to come to the front, facing the class so they can’t see the board (one team at a time).
A word is shown on the IWB and each time the word is answered correctly I display another.
This works really well but it is important to set some ground rules such as not using words that rhyme with the word on display. I’ve yet to come across a class who doesn’t like the concept.
Works brilliantly in pairs also - 1 student turns their back to the IWB.
Student sits at front with back to board. Words are displayed behind him/her. Rest of class has to describe word to student - see how many he/she gets in 1 min. Can be reversed so that student can see the words and has to describe them to the class.
2. Battle of Hastings Comic Strip - 2 A4 pages detailing the Battle of Hastings - captions provided Pupils can illustrate - can draw or use in an IT suite.
3. Why did William win the Battle of Hastings - Assessment
Full Assessment guidance - includes cut and paste for causation, student essay writing frame and student evaluation sheet.
To categorise reasons why William won the Battle of Hastings.
To use the information to construct an essay.
To reach a judgement on the most important reason.
4. Word Searches: Edward the Confessor, Harold Godwinson, William I, Anglo-Saxon Warfare, The Battle of Hastings
5. Battle of Hastings Crossword
6. The Battle of Hastings Cloze Activity.
7. Why did William defeat Harold II? Card Sort Activity
8. The Battle of Hastings Handout
9. Solve the message puzzle from William