Literature Circles and Book Clubs are a fantastic way to dive into novels in your classroom, and this resource is packed with 11 different student activities for analyzing fiction text!
Choose from: Reporter, Discussion Director, Choose a Character, Pick a Passage, Looking at Language, Figurative Language Finder, Theme Thinker, Infer and Imagine, Bridge Builder, Artful Adventurer, and Reflections. Each week can focus on a different job, or, as students become more comfortable, they can each complete a different job in preparation for their discussion. Jobs are tied to Common Core skills such as using evidence to support ideas, identifying main idea and theme, making inferences, and exploring the role of figurative language.
Also included is a student self-evaluation form to help students monitor their preparation and participation.
These activities are perfect for discussing the following novels, which are also available in my TPT store:
- The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
- The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- Rules by Cynthia Lord
- Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
- Restart by Gordon Korman
- Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson
- Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan
- Knots in My Yo-Yo String by Jerry Spinelli
- Boy, Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl
- The Invisible Thread by Yoshiko Uchida