This is a file of 12 comprehension quizes to give students after they listened to the different books.
This can be done after a read aloud, after the students listen to the book in a listening center (CD), or even both, allowing them to listen to it two times! This quiz was formatted to look similar, and have similar questions, to the NYS Grade 3 ELA test (Book 2). You may also decide to have students take notes to practice note taking (like they are required to on the NYS ELA test) and use those to assist them in taking this quiz. The note taking sheet I use is also included in this file.
Great to use to practice listening skills, test taking strategies, note taking skills, and promote familiarity with NYS test formats.
The quizzes in this file are created for the following books, many correspond with popular holidays during the school year:
- Bear Feels Sick by Karma Wilson
- Don't Wake up the Bear! by Marjorie Dennis Murray
- Green Shamrocks by Eve Bunting (St. Patrick's Day)
- Marry UnChristmas by Mike Reiss (Christmas)
- One Snowy Night by M. Christina Butler
- Snow Friends by M. Christina Butler
- The Mitten by Jan Brett
- The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
- Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett
- Turkey Trouble by Wendy Silvano (Thanksgiving)
- Wake Up, Groundhog! by Susanna Leonard Hill (Groundhog's Day)
- Will You Be My Valenswine? by Teresa Bateman (Valentine's Day)
Check your local or school library for the books if you do not have them in your classroom library!