Henry's Freedom Box TIMELINE Activity is an engaging way for students to show what they have learned about the life of HENRY "BOX" BROWN after reading by Ellen Levine. The timelines created will not only aid kiddos' comprehension, but will also inform others about Henry "Box" Brown's bravery and ingenious plan to escape slavery in the south.
Each student and/or partnership will create a timeline that displays information about KEY EVENTS in Brown’s life, matching ILLUSTRATIONS, and DATES (when known). They will also include a TITLE.
There are FOUR versions of the timeline project included, so you can easily differentiate the activity. Each version comes with the necessary INSTRUCTIONS and MATERIALS. Depending upon students’ abilities, they can…
- use complete sentences to describe key events in Brown’s life, record them in separate boxes, and create their own matching illustrations.
- read boxes with pre-written sentences about key events in Brown’s life, match them to the pre-drawn illustrations, and put them all in order.
- do a combination of both.
Henry's Freedom Box Timeline Activity Includes...
- Objective Poster Written in Student-Friendly Language
- 3 Timeline Posters
- Teacher Instructions
- Timeline Example (Photos)
- 4 Versions of Student Instructions for Easy Differentiation!
- Timeline Boxes with Descriptions of 15 Key Events from Brown's Life
- Timeline Boxes with Illustrations of 15 Key Events from Brown's Life
- Blank Timeline Boxes for Students to Create their Own Descriptions &/or Illustrations
- Timeline Answer Key
Thank you for your interest in Henry's Freedom Box Vocabulary! You might also be interested in...
Henry's Freedom Box Vocabulary
Miss Rumphius Vocabulary
Thank You, Mr. Falker Interactive Read Aloud Lessons
The Stranger Interactive Read Aloud Lessons
Snowflake Bentley Interactive Read Aloud Lessons
The Puzzling Main Idea: Main Idea & Details Activities
All About Me Autobiography Poem