PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
The following 120 writing prompts covers the genres of Recount, Narrative, Exposition, Poetry, information and Free Writing. The prompts can be used in many different ways.
They can be used as a whole class writing topic or catered to the needs of specific focus groups and students.
I love to use these writing prompts as ‘extension tasks’ for children who finish their work early. Children can grab a writing prompt and respond to it through free writing using their Writer’s NoteBook.
I store my 120 laminated writing prompt cards inside a writing box that is easily accessible to all the children to use. Be creative with these prompts, use them in the best way that suits your class! Enjoy :)
Here are the writing topics included in the pack:
1. The best day you have ever had.
2. The worst day you have ever had.
3. The scariest thing that has ever happened to you
4. The night you couldn’t sleep.
5. Your favourite holiday.
6. The best adventure you’ve ever had.
7. A really bad fight that you had with someone.
8. The time you broke a bone.
9. The time when you got very sick.
10. Your favourite year at school.
11. The best Christmas ever.
12. The best birthday ever.
13. The most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me.
14. Your favourite memory.
15. Your funniest memory.
16. Your favourite YouTube video.
17. The best thing you have ever seen.
18. A day in the life of…
19. The most difficult choice you have ever had to make.
20. When you really wanted something, but couldn’t have it.
1. Time travelling
2. A new planet
3. Creepy Creatures
4. Being a TV host
5. Being 5cm big
6. Being a giant version of yourself
7. Being invisible
8. Living in the year 2100
9. Being kicked out of Earth to live on Mars.
10. Being a superhero.
11. The day everything came to life.
12. When I became a…
13. Having a magical power.
14. An alien invasion.
15. Being the teacher of your class.
16. Being the ruler of the world.
17. Being famous.
18. Turning into an animal.
19. Switching roles with your parents for the day.
20. Being the richest person in the world.
1. Should we have homework at school?
2. How many days of school do you think we should have?
3. Should kids get paid to go to school?
4. Can money buy happiness?
5. Should people stop eating junk food, especially chocolate?
6. Should product testing on animals or humans be allowed?
7. Is it wrong to eat meat?
8. Are ghosts real?
9. Do you think music has the power to heal?
10. Should we have to wear school uniform?
11. Is reading better than watching TV?
12. Why is it important to be true to yourself?
13. Do you get better results if you don’t give up?
14. Should animals be kept in a zoo?
15. Does bad experiences make you stronger?
16. Is it okay to leave kids home alone?
17. Winning is not as important as trying…
18. Is it okay to talk back to the teacher?
19. What is a suitable punishment for kids who bully other kids?
20. Should humans be allowed to have any animals that they would like as a pet?
1. An important person to you
2. An acrostic poem.
3. Our world.
4. God and His mighty powers.
5. The best day you’ve ever had
6. The worst day you’ve ever had
7. Something you love
8. Someone you love
9. Something you hate
11. Something that makes you feel angry
12. Something that makes you feel grateful.
13. Your understanding of the word: Happy
14. Your understanding of the word: Strength
15. Your understanding of the word: Power
18. Differences in people
1. Your family
2. Your years at school
3. Your childhood
4. Your favourite thing to do outside of school
5. Your favourite place in the world
6. Your favourite animal
7. Your favourite pet
8. Your best friend
9. Your favourite food
10. Your culture
11. Your 5 year life plan
12. Your idol
13. Your fantasy house
14. Sea creatures
17. An extinct animal
19. The history of phones
20. The history of computers