Use this 120 + page unit to study one story, a few stories, or all ten stories.
This unit is packed with high-interest, engaging, and creative activities to match the draw and energy of the stories in Myers’ text.
Includes for EACH Story …
Comprehension Questions or Reading Quiz
Open Response Prompt
… Plus a variety of additional activities!
Included in this unit:
- Information for the Teacher including ideas, suggestions, and variations
- Walter Dean Myers: An Introduction PowerPoint
- Do-Now Collection PowerPoint - one relevant Do-Now per story
- Paired Text Readings for reading across 2 or 3 texts
- Reading Comprehension Question Worksheet (or Reading Quiz) with Key and Open Response Prompts for each story
- “Harlem: A History in Pictures” Nonfiction Web Activity
- Journal Prompts
- Plot Diagram – use for any story
- Making Connections Chart
- Discussion Cards
- List of Questions by Type
- Short Answer Questions
- Open Response Prompts
- Essay Prompts
- Reflect and Respond Activity
- Character Diary Entry Writing Activity
- Character Study: Character Playlist Activity
- Found Poem Creative Writing Activity
- Story Collage Project
- 145th Street Soundtrack – Create a Soundtrack and Design an Album Cover Activity
Often aligned to the Common Core.
These products complement or enhance this unit of study:
Author's or Writer's Craft Introductory Unit
Idiom Study: It's a Mystery
Follow Me and find out first about sales, new products, and new freebies! Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on the upper right of this page or from the Language Arts by Lauren Store.
Happy Teaching :)
Lauren @ Language Arts Lessons by Lauren
145th Street Short Stories Unit of Study created by Lauren Colletti is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License