Italian & German Unification MANIPULATIVES POST- ASSESSMENT
1. Italy & Germany cut out pieces
2. Letter sized envelopes
3. Italy & Germany Unification Chart
This activity is meant as a closing informal assessment of student knowledge for the unification of Italy and the unification of Germany in 1870. This activity was performed with 10th grade Honors students in a World History II course as an informal post assessment and took 10-15 minutes
1. Make copies of the sheet with the cut out pieces so you can make a set for each group in your class.
2. Cut the pieces off the sheet so that you have oval pieces and rectangle pieces. Put the pieces in an envelope.
3. Pass out 1 envelope filled with the pieces to each group. Pass out the Italy/Germany chart to each student.
4. Each group will empty their pieces on the table and will work to match their pieces with the correct economic system.
5. When students believe they have lined up all the Italian unification pieces with the ITALY piece and the German unification pieces with the Germany piece, students will call the teacher to check their work. (HINT: Students might realize that all the Italy pieces are diamonds and all the Germany pieces are oval. This is intentional and serves as a self check for students).
6. Once students have confirmed their answers, they are to write the information from each piece in the chart under the correct heading.
This activity should take 10-15 minutes and should be done at the end of instruction of the unification of Italy & the unification of Germany.
Please let me know how you like this item. I hope you find it helpful and if you have any issues or suggestions, please feel free to contact me.