This is a challenging set of 20 research questions for a 20th Century American History class studying the decade 1910-1919.
The questions are organized chronologically, and there are two questions per year in most cases. Here is what is GREAT about this assignment: it's fully customizable! For instance, you might use only 10 of these questions instead of the 20 in the packet. You might choose 5 of the questions and ask students to conduct in-depth research for a full-length report. The possibilities are endless!
I decided to make a research assignment that went beyond basic questions like "When did the Titanic sink?" and "Who was president during World War I?" Instead, I opted for questions that required strong critical thinking skills and better research skills and - above all - taught an appreciation for 20th Century American history.
Here then is a sample question from this assignment: "Four days into her maiden voyage, the RMS Titanic struck an iceberg and sank on April 14, 1912, resulting in the deaths of 1,517 people, in one of the worst disasters in American history. The ship only carried 20 lifeboats, which saved more than 700 lives. Why didn't the Titanic carry more lifeboats?"
Other topics include Standard Oil and the Sherman Antitrust Act, the birth of the tango, the creation of the Federal Reserve, the first Indianapolis 500, the first minimum wage law, the founding of both the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, income tax, the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and his wife, the establishment of the Federal Trade Commission Act, the opening of the Panama Canal, the first transcontinental phone call, the RMS Lusitania, Pancho Villa's raid on New Mexico, the Zimmerman Telegram, the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, the Fourteen Points speech, the Hundred Days Offensive, and the Treaty of Versailles.
Included, please find the assignment and an answer key with links to reputable websites where I found these answers.
You may use all 20 questions - or any combination you need - depending of course on your goals.
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. 20th Century American History - 210 Research Questions Bundle
This bundle contains ALL of my 20th Century America History Research Questions packets. You will save money if you download this bundle!
2. 20th Century American History - 1900-1909 - 20 Research Questions
3. 20th Century American History - 1920-1929 - 20 Research Questions
4. 20th Century American History - 1930-1939 - 20 Research Questions
5. 20th Century American History - 1940-1949 - 25 Research Questions
6. 20th Century American History - 1950-1959 - 21 Research Questions
7. 20th Century American History - 1960-1969 - 22 Research Questions
8. 20th Century American History - 1970-1979 - 20 Research Questions
9. 20th Century American History - 1980-1989 - 22 Research Questions
10. 20th Century American History - 1990-1999 - 21 Research Questions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License