This is a challenging set of 25 research questions for a 20th Century American History class studying the decade 1940-1949. It has a strong focus on events during and after World War II.
The questions are organized chronologically, and there are two questions per year in most cases. Here is what is GREAT about this assignment: it's fully customizable! For instance, you might use only 10 of these questions instead of the 25 in the packet. You might choose 5 of the questions and ask students to conduct in-depth research for a full-length report. The possibilities are endless!
I decided to make a research assignment that went beyond basic questions like "When did World War II begin?" and "Who was president during World War II?" Instead, I opted for questions that required strong critical thinking skills and better research skills and - above all - taught an appreciation for 20th Century American history.
Here then is a sample question from this assignment: "In 1942, more than 110,000 Japanese Americans were removed from their homes and placed in internment camps throughout the American West. Two-thirds of the internees were American citizens. Their only crime was their Japanese ancestry. Describe what life was like inside these camps."
Additional topics include the Selective Service and Training Act of 1940, the dedication of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Pearl Harbor, the Manhattan Project, Mount Rushmore's completion, the Battle of Midway, Anne Frank, Stalingrad, the D-Day invasion, "Rosie the Riveter," the Yalta and Potsdam Conferences, FDR's death in office, the Battle of Berlin, Hiroshima, the founding of the United Nations, the Nuremberg Trials, Churchill's "Iron Curtain Speech," Chuck Yeager and the sound barrier, the Marshall Plan, "Dewey Defeats Truman," the establishment of the State of Israel, Alger Hiss and the Red Scare, and the founding of NATO.
Included, please find the assignment and an answer key with links to reputable websites where I found these answers.
You may use all 25 questions - or any combination you need - depending of course on your goals.
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. 20th Century American History - 210 Research Questions Bundle
This bundle contains ALL of my 20th Century America History Research Questions packets. You will save money if you download this bundle!
2. 20th Century American History - 1910-1919 - 20 Research Questions
3. 20th Century American History - 1920-1929 - 20 Research Questions
4. 20th Century American History - 1930-1939 - 20 Research Questions
5. 20th Century American History - 1950-1959 - 21 Research Questions
7. 20th Century American History - 1960-1969 - 22 Research Questions
8. 20th Century American History - 1970-1979 - 20 Research Questions
9. 20th Century American History - 1980-1989 - 22 Research Questions
10. 20th Century American History - 1990-1999 - 21 Research Questions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License