This is a challenging set of 21 research questions for a 20th Century American History class studying the decade 1950-1959. It has a strong focus on events during the Cold War and the American Civil Rights Movement.
The questions are organized chronologically. Here is what is GREAT about this assignment: it's fully customizable! For instance, you might use only 10 of these questions instead of the 21 in the packet. You might choose 5 of the questions and ask students to conduct in-depth research for a full-length report. The possibilities are endless!
I decided to make a research assignment that required strong critical thinking skills and better research skills and - above all - taught an appreciation for 20th Century American history.
Here then is a sample question from this assignment: "Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin died in Moscow on March 5, 1953, ending nearly 30 years of tyrannous rule. During his rule, he conducted 'purges' throughout the Soviet Union. What were these purges, and why did Stalin conduct them?"
Additional topics include the Korean Conflict, Kim Il-Sung, McCarthyism, the Rosenberg Trial, the 1950s suburban movement, Route 66, Jonas Salk and the polio vaccine, the first color television broadcast, the discovery of DNA as a three-dimensional double helix, Edmund Hillary, Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, the murder of Emmett Till, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the Warsaw Pact, the Suez Crisis, Elvis Presley on the Ed Sullivan Show, Sputnik 1 and the Space Race, the Little Rock Nine, the donation of the Hope diamond to the Smithsonian, and the rise of Fidel Castro's new government in Cuba.
Included, please find the assignment and an answer key with links to reputable websites where I found these answers.
You may use all 21 questions - or any combination you need - depending of course on your goals.
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. 20th Century American History - 210 Research Questions Bundle
This bundle contains ALL of my 20th Century America History Research Questions packets. You will save money if you download this bundle!
2. 20th Century American History - 1900-1909 - 20 Research Questions
3. 20th Century American History - 1910-1919 - 20 Research Questions
4. 20th Century American History - 1920-1929 - 20 Research Questions
5. 20th Century American History - 1930-1939 - 20 Research Questions
6. 20th Century American History - 1940-1949 - 25 Research Questions
7. 20th Century American History - 1960-1969 - 22 Research Questions
8. 20th Century American History - 1970-1979 - 20 Research Questions
9. 20th Century American History - 1980-1989 - 22 Research Questions
10. 20th Century American History - 1990-1999 - 21 Research Questions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License