Bell Ringer: Create at least 4-5 Bullet points on each
• What is the role of a mother?
• What is the role of a wife?
• What is the role of a father?
• What is the role of a husband
• What Qualities does your ideal “significant other” have?
A Woman’s World in the 1950’s
Today, we are going to continue investigating the question of what life was like for suburban women in the 1950s, specifically: Is the image of the happy 1950s housewife accurate? Why or why not? We are going to examine rounds of documents in order to develop an historical Claim.
Things to think about:
1. Were housewives happy with their lives?
2. Were women in the 1950s just staying at home?
3. Were women out in the world being politically, business wise, etc…
In doing so:
Summarize each document
Write as one of the following people – to someone in the list below- in which you describe your life if you were a woman in the 1950s and talk about BOTH sides of the argument, and describe how you foresee the future (anytime after 1960) based on your 1950’s life experience
Yourself Mom Santa Clause President Life Magazine Your Daughter
Your Husband Someone of romantic interest Your son your Spouse School Board
TV Editors The Mailman OK Cupid/ Match.com/ E-Harmony Neighbor in Levittown
A Current woman of the future (actual Person) Other