This is a project that I used with my 6th grade students. It can includes an extension activity. Suggestions and tips:
1. Look up a video for making toy cars online as an introduction to this assignment.
2. Pair up your students unless they are exceptional at thinking independently and good problem solvers.
3. For students that aren't on grade level yet, help them set up each table with the correct equations before turning them loose.
4. I actually did use the clay recipe that is in the packet. It is very simple to make. The clay takes a full day to dry and then you can have your students paint them if you want.
5. MEET with each student after the project is finished and grade it WITH them there looking at the rubric.
I WILL be including a history and writing extension activity soon.
Standards in this project:
6.RP.A.1 Understand the concept of a ratio and use ratio language to describe a ratio relationship between two quantities.
6.RP.A.2 Understand the concept of a unit rate a/b associated with a ratio a:b with b not equaling 0, and use rate language in the context of a ratio relationship.
6.RP.A.3 Use ratio and rate reasoning to solve real-world and mathematical problems, e.g., by reasoning about tables of equivalent ratios, tape diagrams, double number line diagrams, or equations.
Please let me know if you find any errors. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Susanna M. Yust