THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION OF RESOURCES FOR ORWELL’S 1984!
“George Orwell’s classic book 1984, about a dystopian future where critical thought is suppressed under a totalitarian regime, has seen a surge in sales this month, rising to the top of the Amazon best-seller list in the United States and leading its publisher to have tens of thousands of new copies printed.”
---Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura, January 25, 2017
Orwell’s 1984 has always been popular in my classroom. Students love the challenge of the text, the dynamic plot, and the brilliant characterization. I love the opportunity to prompt students to think critically and synthesize their learning with the real world.
I’ve been teaching 1984 for over 25 years and have created, assigned, differentiated, and revised these many effective resources. These products are all student tested and approved.
I’m excited to offer them to you. Thank you for having a look!
Purchased individually, total cost, $116---bundled, just $84
The products in this bundle were created using Word and PowerPoint.
They are editable.
Included in this bundle:
Introduction to George Orwell and 1984 PowerPoint Presentation: (Individually $9)
38 slides including Orwell biography:
• Discussion of the structure of the world, Oceania, and Ingsoc in 1984
• Discussion of the principles of Ingsoc, Newspeak, Mutability of the Past, and doublethink
• Discussion of Big Brother and his historical parallels
• Introduction to characters
• Introduction to thoughtcrime and the Thought Police, telescreen, propaganda, slogans
• Embedded video of Two-Minutes Hate
Click here for preview of PowerPoint Presentation:
1984 Introduction Presentation
Activities for individual chapters (some doubled-up) (Bought separately, $61)
All activities include comprehension questions and higher-order thinking questions.
Students are required to fill in words from key quotes. Some graphic organizers.
KEYS ARE INCLUDED FOR ALL CHAPTER ACTIVITIES!
1. Section 1 Chapter 1 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (4 pages, 35 tasks, graphic organizers)
2. Section 1 Chapters 2 and 3 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (4 pages, 40 tasks, graphic organizers)
3. Section 1 Chapters 4 and 5 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (5 pages, 48 tasks, graphic organizers)
4. Section 1 Chapter 6 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 29 tasks, fill in key words in quotes)
5. Section 1 Chapter 7 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 25 tasks)
6. Section 1 Chapter 8 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 23 tasks, graphic organizers)
7. Section 2 Chapter 1 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 20 tasks)
8. Section 2 Chapter 2 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (4 pages, 23 tasks)
9. Section 2 Chapter 3 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages 24 tasks)
10. Section 2 Chapter 4 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 24 tasks)
11. Section 2 Chapter 5 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 29 tasks)
12. Section 2 Chapters 6 and 7 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (5 pages 32 tasks)
13. Section 2 Chapter 8 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 26 tasks)
14. Section 2 Chapters 9 and 10 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 32 tasks)
15. Section 3 Chapter 1 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 29 tasks)
16. Section 3 Chapter 2 Creative Activity
o Students discuss the effectiveness of the torture in the Ministry of Love (2 pages, 14 tasks and suggested responses key)
17. Section 3 Chapter 3 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (2 pages, 25 tasks)
18. Section 3 Chapter 4 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 31 tasks)
19. Section 3 Chapter 5 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (2 pages 15 tasks)
20. Section 3 Chapter 6 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages 23 tasks)
End of Section Evaluations:
SECTION 1 (Listed in store, $6)
Objective Test: (7 pages)
• Matching groups (Spies, Proles, Outer Party) with description (10)
• Matching characters (Winston, O’Brien, Katharine) to quote from the text describing them (15)
• Short answer questions about slogans, ministries, principles of Ingsoc, propaganda, Two-Minutes Hate
• Defining terms (physical jerks, speakwrite, ownlife) (10)
• Short essays: family, mutability of the past and doublethink, intimacy
Out-of-Class Essay Prompt: (1 page) Choose one topic: Propaganda, Intimacy, Mutability of the Past
Instructions to write thesis statement and develop discussion of how the Party establishes and maintains dominance.
SECTION 2 (Individually priced, $6)
Persuasive Essay: (3 pages)
Students follow instructions to compose a persuasive essay to convince the US government to adopt a practice of Ingsoc:
• Appeals (logical, emotional, ethical)
• Opposing viewpoint acknowledgement
• Language and style
• Editing Checklist and Rubric
Short Answer Test (3 pages)
• 8 questions requiring a brief essay (family an extension of the Thought Police, Julia and Winston’s differences, etc.)
• Includes two longer essays about Goldstein’s Book:
o One about War is Peace, another about Ignorance is Strength
Quote Test (5 pages)
• 12 quotes from the text with accompanying questions
Creative Writing Activity:
Students choose from
• journal writing
• a shopping spree at Charrington’s
• Match.com profiles for Winston and Julia (In store for $5.50)
• Essay Prompt: 3 prompts from which to choose
Final Group Research Project and Presentation (Individually priced, $4) (3 pages) —
Students research and establish parallels to today’s society:
• Privacy and Technology
• Thought Control
GOLDSTEIN’S BOOK--DIFFERENTIATED ACTIVITIES
My most popular 1984 product, Goldstein’s Book Graphic Organizers:
• Graphic organizers help students navigate that part of Section 2 Chapter 9.
• Cover all the main concepts with 31 pages of graphic organizers, (charts, fill-ins, acrostics)
• (Individually priced at $8)
• Detailed KEY INCLUDED
Click here to preview graphic organizers:
Goldstein's Book Graphic Organizers
Goldstein’s Book---The Ultimate Guide
• There are 8 pages of questions including 50 quotes
• I have included a key (which is the real value of this resource). The key is 11 pages.
• I provided bulleted responses in complete sentences.
• I included page numbers directing students to the discussion in the novel. I use the Signet Classic paperback. If you use a different edition of the novel, it wouldn’t be hard to change them because the questions follow the text.
Please click here to browse my individual 1984 resources where you will find more detailed descriptions of each resource and previews (click “Look Inside”):
Thank you for consideration of this product. Enjoy!
NOT INCLUDED IN BUNDLE BUT A GREAT PRODUCT AVAILABLE IN MY STORE:
Goldstein’s Book---PowerPoint Presentation
• There are 61 slides.
• The first is a quote from O'Brien regarding Winston's acquisition of the book.
• Following slides address Chapter 1 Ignorance is Strength and provide discussion of
o --hierarchical society,
o --the desire for power,
o --and the similarities among the superstates' ideologies.
o --War is Peace is expounded upon with excerpts, paraphrases, and graphics
Please click here to view this product:
Goldstein's Book PowerPoint Presentation
SORRY, THE FILE EXCEEDED THE LIMIT.